Thursday, February 12, 2015

Education: Thing nineteen

DuoLingo

I was so happy to discover this app! I honestly got a bit obsessed with it actually (my co-workers can attest to my fascination with it).

It's a wonderful app for learning languages and I would highly recommend it to anyone - both personally and professionally.

First off, I liked how it starts you off with a "placement test". The test gives you an idea of your knowledge of the language and what level you can begin with. Even though I thought I had the basics of French down, my test revealed that I needed to start with Level 1.

It then launched me into the Level 1 program and I was immediately addicted. There were photos, quizzes, fill in the blanks, speaking and listening exercises. It was very repetitive and exactly how I'd imagine a strong language learning program would go.

I found myself hooked and kept wanting to "level up". Within half an hour, I'd already finished 4 lessons and was wishing I could do more.

One other useful feature was that I received a 'reminder' email when I hadn't logged in for a couple of days later. It  was a good prompt to bring me back to the app when I didn't have time.

Professionally, I think this app would be a great supplement to our Mango languages that is available through our FVRL database collection.

Personally, I appreciate that this app is free. I think it's awesome that something this well designed and fun to use comes with no charges (as far as I can tell).

Overall, I am delighted in this language learning app!

No comments:

Post a Comment